The power of Occupy Wall Street at Lincoln Center Plaza
OWS "Truth-Force" Obliterates New York Police Department Barricade at Lincoln Center Plaza
Friday 2 December 2011
by: Jayashri Wyatt, Truthout
Last night, I saw the power of Occupy Wall Street (OWS) at Lincoln Center Plaza, a public space that activists were barricaded by the New York Police Department (NYPD) from entering. From behind a police-patrolled barrier, I witnessed the power of the people first hand and had a taste of authentic democratic practice. I also caught a glimpse of the possibility that the burgeoning consciousness of OWS has the potential to unleash across this nation and perhaps the world.
What is this power? It's called Satyagraha. It means "truth-force."...Philip Glass, honored the famous pacifist Gandhi by composing an opera of the same name, which played last night at the Metropolitan Opera in Manhattan.
As "Satyagraha" opera attendees filed out into the Plaza, OWS activists called out and invited them to join them. A small group streamed toward the barrier, forming a circle with opera enthusiasts on one side and OWS activists on the other. In that moment of oneness, there was a shared acknowledgement of the profound values of Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr...
Read the whole article at http://www.truth-out.org/ows-truth-force-obliterates-new-york-police-department-barricade/1322849027
A weekly email newsletter connecting you with our latest issues, articles and special features. Subscribe now!
- 18: The Southern Cooperative Movement-NEW!
- 17: Scaling-Up the Cooperative Movement-NEW!
- 16: Intentional Communities and Solidarity Economics
- 15: Advancing the Development of Worker Co-ops-ADWC 2013
- 14: The Anniversary Issue
- 13: The Frank Lindenfeld Memorial
- 12: International Year of the Cooperative
- 11: Lessons for Today from "Black Like Me"
- 10: Occupy! Connect! Create!
- 9: Collective Action: Research, Practice and Theory
- 8: Worker Cooperative Development Models
- 7: The Cooperative Advantage
- 6: Inter-cooperation is Key
- 5: Education For Economic Liberation
- 4: Land, Food, Childcare, Laundry, and a Book
- 3: Worker Cooperative Replication
- 2: Strengthening the Movement
- 1: Grassroots Democracy In Action